Problem / Issue
Per the new MIS reporting requirements recently mandated by the CCCCO MIS division (see Memo 3.08.18), CCCApply is being asked to comply with certain requirements regarding data fields that are currently either not being collected, or are being collected but are currently restricted from download (restricted from access) to the CCC colleges based on data sharing agreement restrictions or existing data handling security concerns. Several of the new reporting requirements include adding or amending CCCApply in some way, or will require CCCApply to make previously restricted data fields (AB620) available, or may require CCCApply to actually remove questions - assuming the data can be collected at different points in the matriculation process. These data requirements and solutions are currently being reviewed and approved by the CCCApply Steering Committee, the CCCCO, and the CCC Tech Center.
This change request strictly pertains to the AB620 fields (shown below) only:
REQUEST: Make the AB620 data fields, previously restricted in CCCApply, available to colleges in the most secure process as soon as possible.
The CCCCO MIS updated their reporting requirements for 2018 and all colleges are now required to collect and report on the LGBTQ data fields (AB620) beginning August 2018. Up to this point, for security reasons, these two fields have been restricted to colleges and are not currently included in the CCCApply download file. Since 2013, when AB620 first passed and CCCApply complied with the federal mandate, the data has been collected, encrypted, and stored in a secure database on a secure server and has not been available to colleges awaiting legal requirements from the CO, but meanwhile aggregated and shared with the CCCCO to comply with the mandate to report demographic information.
During an impromptu Steering meeting on April 3, Steering members requested that these two fields be unencrypted and added to the CCCApply Download Client AND the CCC Report Center for immediate access by colleges to comply with the reporting requirements. They are requesting a hot fix release be scheduled as soon as possible. As part of this request, the onscreen text that accompanies the AB620 questions will need to change to accurately disclose that the data would be collected by the colleges to comply with federal and state reporting requirements (and would also be used for student equity outcomes data).
April 3 Meeting Discussion:
The CCCApply Steering Committee called a meeting on April 3 to discuss this new requirement.
- Development & Release Estimate: Patty explained that it would be very challenging to rush these requirements through and schedule a hot fix release in the middle of a major CCCApply release planned for the end of June 2018. However, she would begin drafting up the request and get a technical development estimate together - to be reported back during the May 2 meeting.
- How quickly could we get the AB620 fields into the downloads?
- How quickly could we get the AB620 fields into the Report Center? NOT APPROVED
- If we added these fields into the RC, would colleges be able to run a report going back to November 2017?
- Alternate Options:
- In the event the DLC would not be approved, CCCApply could work with Project Glue to implement a process for secure transfer of the data through the Glue College Adapter;
- The data could be accessed through the Data Warehouse for college researchers, which should be launched and made accessible by June 2018.