CCCApply Questions & Fields IN ORDER

Welcome Page

Create Your Account

Create Account Pages

Introduction Page

Enrollment Page

The Enrollment Page is the first page of the application following the Introduction page. The student must complete the three Enrollment page questions before they can continue the application. The “Term” selected determines the Residency Determination Date (RDD) that is used to determine the residency status of the student for that particular term.

  • Term Applying For*

  • Intended Major or Program of Study*

  • Education Goal*

Account Information Page

The Account / Mailing Information page contains two parts: 1) a summary of the information currently in the student’s OpenCCC Account, which can be accessed and edited here; 2) Current Mailing information fields, which the student must enter to continue.

The data collected in the OpenCCC Account includes personal information. The OpenCCC Privacy Policy discloses how this information is collected, stored and handled, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Required fields are indicated with an asterisk.

  • Legal Name*

  • Permanent Address*

  • Previous or Alternate Name

  • Preferred Name

  • Main Phone

  • Main Phone Text Message Authorization

  • Second Phone

  • Second Phone Text Message Authorization

  • Email*

  • Birthdate*

  • Social Security Number*

Note: In March 2017, a checkbox was added to the OpenCCC Account allowing a homeless applicant to state they have no permanent address because they are currently homeless.

{Checkbox} I have no permanent address because I am currently homeless

Date of Birth (Birthdate)

The “Birthdate” is used in the CCCApply Standard admission application to calculate age, to identify applicants who are too young to transact business online per COPPA (Child Online Privacy Protection Act —under age 13), and to identify minors for residency calculation and collection of parent or guardian contact information.  The Office of Civil Rights, a federal agency, acknowledges that collection of the birthdate is allowed under California State law.

For residency and minor identification, the applicant’s age is calculated as of the day before the start-of-term date <ResidencyDeterminationDate>.

Question Text:

"Due to laws regarding children's online privacy, this system will not allow accounts to be created by persons under the age of 13. For more information, please refer to the Privacy Policy.

This information is used for protection of minors in online transaction environments, as well as to differentiate between persons having the same name. It is also used to comply with state and federal law pertaining to residency, guardianship, and admission of minors to college. This information will not be used in making admissions decisions except as permitted by law.”

Birth date is sensitive information, protected by federal law and the Office of Civil Rights (with regard to age discrimination). Any change to the text, prompt, access, or transmission of this data item must be approved by the Legal Counsel of the CCC Chancellor’s Office and the Office of Civil Rights. This information may not be provided to staff in the capacity of making a decision to admit an applicant until after the applicant is admitted—that is, uniformly enabled to register for classes.

Social Security Number

CCCApply is required to disclose the requirements mandated by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for collecting Social Security Numbers (SSN) and/or Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN) to the student at the time the data is collected; however, it is not required for the student to provide this information at the time of application.  Students cannot be denied admission to a California Community College if they do not provide a SSN/TIN; however they are “required” to provide a response to the question. The student can either provide their SSN/TIN, or check the box stating they do not have a SSN/TIN or decline to provide one at the time of application. The language that is presented to the student in the SSN/TIN question is mandated by the CCCCO Legal Office per requirements of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Question text:

“The Social Security Number is required to claim tax credits for higher education costs known as the American Opportunity Tax Credit in accordance with the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.

Federal law requires the California Community Colleges to provide specific information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the purpose of filing an information return (IRS Form 1098-T "Tuition Statement") for each student in attendance, with a few exceptions.

The information required by the IRS includes the student's name, address, Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN/iTIN), and enrollment status, as well as the amount of tuition paid or billed, and scholarships received. (26 C.F.R. 1-60505-1(b)(2)(ii).)

Failure to provide a correct Social Security Number or TIN while claiming tax credits for specified education expenses may result in a penalty levied against the student by the IRS in the amount of $100, per year, until the missing or incorrect information is provided (26 C.F.R. 1-60505-1(e)(4)).

In addition, California Education Code sections 68041 and 70901(b)(7) authorizes the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office (CCCCO) to collect information you submit through the OpenCCC Online Student Account and CCCApply Online Application for Admission for the purposes of completing and submitting California College admission applications and financial aid on your behalf.

Further, information acquired by the CCCCO is subject to the limitations set forth in the Information Practices Act of 1977 (Title 1.8 (commencing with Section 1798) of Part 4 of Division 3 of the Civil Code). Compliance with these laws is identified in the Privacy Policy.”

Current Mailing Address

  • Street Address and Apartment or Suite Number

  • City

  • State

  • ZIP Code

  • State/Province

  • Postal Code

  • Country

  • Address Same as Permanent

  • Mailing Address Outside US

  • No Mailing Address Homeless

{Checkbox} My mailing address is the same as the Permanent Address in my OpenCCC Account above

{Checkbox} My current mailing address is outside the United States

{Checkbox} I have no current mailing address because I am currently homeless

Demographic Information 


Gender information is collected per state and federal reporting requirements.  The full “Gender” section that appears on the Personal Information page includes three questions:  1) Gender, which displays to all applicants regardless of age;  2) Transgender and 3) Sexual Orientation, both of latter which appear only if the student is age 18 or older at the time of application.

The Gender question is optional, and the student is not prevented from continuing to the next question if they provide no response.

The text that displays to all students under the Gender question is:

“This information will be used for state and federal reporting purposes. It is optional and voluntary and will not be used for a discriminatory purpose. "Gender" in this context, means a person's sex, or a person's gender identity and gender expression.”      

Transgender & Sexual Orientation

California law (AB620) requires the California Community Colleges to collect aggregate demographic information regarding the sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression of students. (California Education Code section 66027). It also requests annual transmittal of summary demographic reporting to the Legislature and posting of such summary information on the CCC Chancellor’s Office website.

  • Providing this information is optional and is not required to move forward or to complete the California Community Colleges application for admission
  • Your responses are kept private and secure. Limited campus staff will have access to this information
  • The data will not be used for discriminatory purposes
  • This information is used to provide services to all of our student populations
  • This information is used for summary demographic reporting where no individual applicant’s identity will be revealed. In compliance with the CA Education Code, this summary information will be made available on CCC and campus websites and to the California Legislature      

Dependency Status  (Minors only)

Whether applicant is a minor subject to care and control of guardian per residency law—and if not, whether applicant is a non-minor or an independent minor.

Parent/Guardian Information (Minors only)

By California law, qualification for resident tuition is based on the residency of your parent(s) or guardian(s) until you are 19 years of age, except in certain special circumstances. The following questions will be used to determine whether or not you need to provide parent or guardian information for the purposes of determining residency. Your response will not affect your admission to college.

The residence of the parent with whom an unmarried minor child resides with is the residence of the unmarried minor child.  When the minor lives with neither parent, his or her residence is that of the parent with whom he or she last resided. EC § 68062(f)

Parent/Guardian Educational Levels

{Parent or Guardian 1, Parent or Guardian 2}

Regardless of your age, please indicate the education levels of the parents and/or guardians who raised you.

Race & Ethnicity

"Per U.S. Department of Education guidelines, colleges are required to collect this racial and ethnic data.  Race Ethnicity Indicators (21 flags representing each option) and Race Group (Number codes)

Hispanic / Latino

“Are you Hispanic or Latino? A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. What is your race? Check one or more:"

  • A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent.
  • Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
  • American Indian / Alaskan Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community attachment.
  • Pacific Islander:  A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
  • White:  A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."

Education Page

The questions on the Education page collect data for determining residency, as well as ascertaining necessary information for the college to confirm enrollment status and educational history.

College Enrollment Status

As of [RDD], I will have the following college enrollment status:

High School Education Level

High school education level as of [RDD]

High School Completion Date

High school completion date

(These two questions only appear if the user is a high school graduate or equivalent)

Graduated from California High School:   Did you receive your diploma, GED, or certificate in California?

Attended California High School for Three Years Have you attended high school in California for three or more years?

High School Attendance

  • I attended high school.
  • I was homeschooled in a registered homeschool organization.
  • I was independently homeschooled.
  • I did not attend high school and was not homeschooled.

Last HS Attended Name

Enter the name or city of your high school or homeschool organization.

Then make a selection from the list.

High School Country
High School State,
If the school is found in the School Finder, the City, State, Country auto-filled.
My school is not on the list If the school is not found, a text input field is displayed for manual entry.

High School Transcript Information

Grade Point Average “What was your unweighted high school GPA (grade point average)?

Please enter a value between 0.00 and 4.00.”

Completed Eleventh Grade “Have you completed the 11th grade?”

Highest English Course Taken
In high school & Grade Received? "What was the highest English course you took in high school?”
“What grade did you receive?”

Highest Math Course Taken in "What was the highest math course you took in high school with a Pass, C-,  high school & grade received? or better?  What grade did you receive?

Highest Math Course Passed
& grade received? "What was the highest math course you passed in high school with a Pass,
C-, or better? “What grade did you receive?

Colleges Attended Section

College Education Level

College (Higher) Education Level

College education level as of [RDD]

Higher Education Completion Date Month - Day - Year  If unsure of the exact day, please estimate.

Colleges/Universities Attended {College Count}

Specify the number of colleges you have attended including those you are currently attending.

College/University Name

Enter the name or city of your college or university. Then make a selection from the list.  City, State, Country

Attendance Began Month - Year

Attendance Ended Month - Year

College Expelled Check here if you were expelled or are in the process of expulsion
College Degree Obtained Degree (if any)
Degree Date Month -  Year


Citizenship Status

(If the student selects anything other than "Citizen" - they would see qualifying questions. Some of those are listed below.)

  • Alien Registration Number

  • Alien Registration Issue Date

  • Alien Registration Expiration Date

  • {Checkbox} No Documents

  • Visa Type

  • Visa Issue Date

  • Visa Expiration Date

  • No Expiration Date

Military Status

If the student selects anything other than "None apply to me", then qualifying questions appear depending on their status.

  • State of Legal Residence {Military member's State of Legal Residence (military)}

  • Home of Record {Military member's Home of Record}

  • Country of Record {Home Country}

  • Discharge Date

  • Discharge Type

  • Stationed in California? {Is the military member currently stationed in California?}

  • Stationed in California for Education Purposes? {Is the military member's assignment in California for educational purposes for 30 days or more?}

Residency Page

CCCApply includes a page of Residency questions related to one or more state, local, or federal regulations intended to support the college in determining the student’s final residency status. CCCApply does not ask the applicant for proofs of residency in any form. Actual residency determination remains the responsibility of the college to which the student applies; thus the questions presented in CCCApply are important for collecting all the appropriate details needed to make this determination.

NOTE: The residency page does not display if the student is not a citizen of the United States.

Residency Algorithm

In addition to the residency questions, listed below, CCCApply is built upon an integrated residency algorithm in the following four areas: citizenship, stay and intent, military exemptions, and other exemptions. The student is evaluated in each area separately. These area classifications (referred to as ‘classes’) are then processed to make the overall preliminary residency calculation.  

The residency calculation provided by CCCApply is a preliminary residency calculation only, not an actual or final residency determination.

In addition to the preliminary residency determination, the residency algorithm also calculates a Financial Aid flag, an AB540 Eligibility flag, and an Ineligibility for Admission flag based on the responses to questions throughout the application.  

The Residency Page questions include:

    • Have you lived in California continuously since {RDD}

    • When did your current stay begin? {Month, Day, Year}

    • Did Not Arrive Yet

Special Residency
    • Are you, or your spouse/parent or guardian, a full-time employee of any of the following colleges/universities?

    • Are you, or your spouse/parent or guardian, a full-time credentialed employee of a California public school enrolling in college for purposes of fulfilling credential-related requirements?

    • Have you, or your spouse/parent or guardian, been employed as a seasonal agricultural worker for at least a total of two months of each of the past two years?

    • Are you under 25 and determined homeless by verified agencies within last 24 months?  Yes or No (AB 801)

    • Foster Youth Status {Have you ever been in court-ordered foster care?} Yes or No

      • When did you exit foster care?

        • I am currently in foster care (including extended foster care after age 18).

        • I aged out/emancipated from foster care or exited voluntarily on or after my 18th birthday.

        • I exited the foster care system before my 18th birthday.

        • I am not sure at what age I exited foster care.

Out of State Activities

  • Since {RDD}, have you, or your parent or guardian, declared residency in another state for state income tax purposes?
    If yes, what year?

  • Since {RDD}, have you,or your parent or guardian, registered to vote in another state? If yes, what year?

  • Since {RDD}, have you, or your parent or guardian, declared residency at an out-of-state college or university? If yes, what year?

  • Since {RDD}, have you, or your parent or guardian, petitioned for a lawsuit or a divorce as a resident in another state? If yes, what year?

Needs & Interests

  • Main Language {Are you comfortable reading and writing English?}

Financial Assistance

  • Are you interested in receiving information about money for college?

  • Are you receiving TANF/CalWORKs, SSI, or General Assistance?

Athletic Interest

  • Are you interested in participating in a sport while attending college?

Programs & Services

  • Academic counseling/advising

  • Basic skills (reading, writing, math)

  • CalWorks

  • Career planning

  • Child care

  • Counseling - personal

  • DSPS - Disabled Student Programs and Services

  • EOPS - Extended Opportunity Programs and Services

  • ESL - English as a Second Language

  • Health services

  • Housing information

  • Employment assistance

  • Online classes

  • Re-entry program (after 5 years out)

  • Scholarship information

  • Student government

  • Testing, assessment, orientation

  • Transfer information

  • Tutoring services

  • Veterans services

Review Application

Consent Page

The Consent Question is required by the Legal Office of the CCC Chancellor’s Office. The text, prompt, data value, access, and handling are defined by Legal Counsel and any changes require approval by Legal Counsel.  This data is expected to be propagated throughout student information systems over time and circulate to the Chancellor’s Office through MIS reporting. Accommodating this data item is likely to be mandated in the future.

Consent is not required for the applicant to submit the application; however, the student is required to provide a response to the question. A copy of the Privacy Policy is provided by way of a hyperlink for the student’s reference.

The Help text, accessible by clicking on the hyperlink, states:  

CCCApply asks you to give your consent to release of personal information about you. If you give consent to release of your information, you will be authorizing the Chancellor's Office, California Community Colleges, and the community colleges you are attending to release necessary personal information contained in your education records, including your Social Security number, for the following purposes:

  • To federal or state agencies to evaluate jointly administered programs or to comply with reporting requirements;
  • To data matching services to measure student success in transferring to four-year colleges or universities;
  • To colleges, universities, or government agencies to promote outreach to students and to enhance transfer;
  • To the California Student Aid Commission to facilitate the award of financial aid; and
  • To organizations or agencies assisting the Chancellor's Office or the community colleges you attend with research and analysis.

Request for Consent to Release Information

The information that appears on screen (question):

“The community colleges you attend and the Chancellor's Office of the California Community Colleges request your help. We ask that you agree to allow us to release necessary personal information about you to various agencies and organizations so we can do research, plan programs and offer special services to you (such as transfer opportunity information or state financial aid). If you do agree to give your consent, your information will not be sold, used for commercial purposes, released to the public, or given to other government agencies for purposes of determining benefits (other than financial aid), except where specifically required by law. In addition, if you do consent to release of your information, those organizations and agencies to which your information is given are prohibited by law from using it for any unauthorized purpose or releasing it to anyone else. If you do not give your consent, personal information about you will not be shared with other organizations or agencies except where allowed by law. You should also know that answering "no" to this question will not prevent release of certain "directory information" about you. To learn more about directory information or how to block its release, see the Privacy Policy.

I authorize the Chancellor's Office, California Community Colleges, and the community colleges I am attending to release necessary personal information contained in my education records, including my Social Security number, for the purposes described in the Full Statement of Consent.

[radio button] Yes, I consent     [radio button] No, I do not consent

Submission Page

e-Signature Confirmation

The student must complete the Submission page in order to declare that the information they provide in CCCApply are true and correct under penalty of perjury.  The exact declarations are shown below:

[checkbox] By checking here, I, <applicant full name>, declare that:

  1. All of the information in this application pertains to me.
  2. Under penalty of perjury, the statements and information submitted in this online admission application are true and correct.
  3. I understand that falsification, withholding pertinent data, or failure to report changes in residency may result in District action.
  4. I understand that all materials and information submitted by me for purposes of admission become the property of <college name>.

The student’s responses to these checkboxes serve as the applicant’s electronic signature.

Additional Text:

You are about to submit your application to <college name>.

NO CHANGES can be made to your application once it is submitted. California state law* allows you to submit your application and residency information online with an electronic signature verification. Your completion of this page will provide the necessary verification for electronic submission. The security and privacy of the information in your submitted application are protected as described in the CCCApply Privacy       Policy.

* Section 54300 of subchapter 4.5 of chapter 5 of division 6 of title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

ASCCC Resolution Draft:

Issue:  The Academic Senate of the California Community Colleges (ASCCC)1, as well as members of the California Association of Community Colleges Admissions & Records Organization (CACCRAO)2, have submitted a resolution to the CCCCO calling for a revision to the CCCApply, the online admissions application to the California Community Colleges, to address the specific needs of non-credit student population, including ESL, Adult Education, Seniors, etc fill in.

Whereas, as part of the implementation of the Student Success and Support Program by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, noncredit students will be required to use CCCApply as a point of entry to the community college system; and,

Whereas, the complexity of the CCCApply standard application could present significant obstacles to enrollment into noncredit programs (such as Adult Basic Education, Adult Secondary Education, Short-term Vocational, Workforce Preparation, ESL, VESL, and Older Adults) due to students’ limited computer literacy and accessibility, language and literacy barriers, and a lack of clarity on the difference between the term “residency” and immigration status; and,

Whereas, the CCCApply standard application has the potential to exclude students from enrolling in noncredit courses which often serve as the first point of entry into college for immigrants, economically disadvantaged, and low-skilled adults;

Resolved, the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges supports the development of a modified CCCApply application for noncredit enrollment that identifies only the appropriate and required enrollment fields for community  college noncredit program entry, and includes a paper option; and,

What are the “appropriate and required enrollment fields for community college noncredit program entry?

To answer this question, the following state and system-wide legislation has been reviewed:

The fields that are required to determine residency are:

  • Legal Name
  • Previous Name
  • Birthdate
  • Dependency Status
  • Permanent Address
  • Current Mailing Address
  • Main Phone
  • Enrollment Status
  • High School Education Level
  • High School Completion Date
  • Higher Education Completion Date
  • Graduated from California High School
  • Attended California High School for 3 Years
  • High School Attendance
  • High School Country
  • High School State
  • High School Name
  • College Enrollment Status
  • College Degree Date
  • College Country
  • College State
  • College Name
  • College Attendance Began
  • College Attendance Ended
  • Citizenship Status
  • Alien Registration Number
  • Alien Registration Issue & Expiration Date
  • Visa Type
  • Visa Issue & Expiration Date
  • Military Status
  • Discharge Date
  • Discharge Type
  • State of Legal Residence
  • Home of Record
  • Home of Country
  • Stationed in California
  • Stationed in California for Ed Purposes
  • California Residence for 2 Years
  • Date Current Stay in California Stay Began
  • Not Yet Arrived in California
  • State College Employee
  • Seasonal Agricultural Worker
  • Public School Employee
  • Foster Youth Status
  • Homeless Youth*  (in Area B for Priority Registration)
  • Declared Residency Outside California for Taxes
  • Declared Residency Outside California for Taxes Year
  • Voted Outside California
  • Voted Outside California Year
  • Residence for College Outside California
  • Residence for College Outside California Year
  • Lawsuit Outside California
  • Lawsuit Outside California Year

The fields that are “required” per Federal and State legislative requirements are:

  • SSN
  • Gender
  • Transgender
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Race / Ethnicity
  • Are you Hispanic?
  • Parent/Guardian Education Levels
  • Dependency Status
  • Parent/Guardian Name & Relationship

  1. Resolved, the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges engages the Chancellor’s Office in a dialogue, with non credit faculty participation, regarding modification of the CCCApply standard application that reflects a commitment to promoting enrollment for students into noncredit programs.

Why must all students complete the CCCApply residency questionnaire?
According to Chapter 2 (2.05) of the Student Attendance Accounting Manual: “When a student does not answer all of the questions on the Residence Questionnaire or on the Supplemental Residence Questionnaire, if one is used, and residency cannot be determined, the student may be classified as a nonresident. Reference: T5 54012, 54026


  1.  Each student enrolled or applying for admission to an institution shall provide the information and evidence of residence as deemed necessary by the governing board or district governing
    board, as appropriate, to determine his or her classification. An oath or affirmation may be required in connection with taking testimony necessary to ascertain a student's classification. The
    determination of a student's classification shall be made in accordance with this part and the residence determination date for the semester, quarter, or term for which the student proposes to attend an institution.

Residency in CCCApply

Residency Algorithm

Data Acquisition

Residency in SAAM Ch2


Residency determination shall be made for each student at the time applications for admission

are accepted, and whenever a student has not been in attendance for more than one semester

or quarter. For apportionment purposes, residency determination may be required on a course by-

course basis.

Reference: ECS 68040, 68044; T5 54000, 54002, 54010


That location with which a person is considered to have the most settled and permanent

connection; it is also the place where that person intends to remain, and, during absences,

intends to return. Residence results from the union of physical presence with objective evidence

that the intent is to remain at that place for other than a temporary purpose.

Reference: ECS 68062, T5 54020


A student who has established both physical presence and intent to make California the

permanent home (domicile), for more than one year pursuant to the Education Code

(commencing with Section 68060), as of the residence determination date. Reference: ECS 68017, ECS 68060


A student who has not established residence in California for one year as of the residence

determination date.Reference: ECS 68018

Nonresident Tuition

Except as otherwise provided in statute, a student classified as a nonresident shall be required to pay in addition to other fees required, a nonresident fee.

Note: A district may exempt a student who is a resident of another state from the mandatory fee requirement (or a reduced fee) under certain conditions, and the student may be considered a resident for apportionment purposes as prescribed under ECS 76140 subsections (i), (j), and (k). Reference: ECS 68050, ECS 76140

Residence Determination Date

That day immediately preceding the opening day of instruction of the quarter, semester, or other session as set by the district governing board, during which the student proposes to attend a College.  Reference: ECS 68023, T5 54002

Physical Presence

A person capable of establishing residence in California must be physically present for one year

prior to the residence determination date, excluding temporary absences for business, education

or pleasure. Reference: ECS 68018, T5 54022



To determine a person's place of residence, reference is made to the following statutory rules:

  1. Every person has, in law, a residence.
  2. Every person who is married or 18 years of age, or older, and not precluded from doing so, may establish residence.
  3. In determining the place of residence the following rules are to be observed:
    1. There can only be one residence.
    2. A residence is the place where one remains when not called elsewhere for labor or other special or temporary purposes, and to which he or she returns in seasons of repose.
    3. A residence cannot be lost until another is gained.
    4. The residence can be changed only by the union of act and intent.
    5. A man or a woman may establish his or her residence. A person's residence shall not be derived from that of his or her spouse. Many of the objective manifestations of the two may be shared, but each may have some evidence of intent that is not shared, which may indicate different residences.
    6. The residence of the parent with whom an unmarried minor child maintains his or her place of abode is the residence of the unmarried minor child. When the minor lives with neither parent his or her residence is that of the parent with whom he or she maintained his or her last place of abode. The minor may establish his or her residence when both parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed. Note: The conditions in 3.f. apply unless the minor is precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing residence in the United States.
    7. The residence of an unmarried minor who has a parent living cannot be changed by his or her own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian, or by relinquishment of a parent's right of control, unless the student qualifies under the Self-Support or the Two-Year Care and Control exception. (See Self-Support, item 2, page 14, or Two Year Care and Control, item 6, page 15.)
    8. An alien, including an unmarried minor alien, may establish his or her residence unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing residence in the United States. (See subsection f., above.)
    9. Physical presence within California solely for educational purposes does not allow a student to establish residence, regardless of the length of time present in the state.  Reference: ECS 68060, 68061, 68062; T5 54022, 54045

Residence Questionnaire and Supplemental Residence Questionnaire

When a student does not answer all of the questions on the Residence Questionnaire or on the Supplemental Residence Questionnaire, if one is used, and residency cannot be determined, the student may be classified as a nonresident. Reference: T5 54012, 54026

Evidence of Intent

  1. Under the Education Code, the general rule is that a student must pay nonresident tuition unless the student can qualify as a resident student or meet the requirements of certain special provisions. Since the concept of residence involves subjective intent, this manual cannot anticipate every question that will arise in connection with determining whether such intent exists.  Reference: ECS 76140 [see exceptions in (i),(j), and (k)], T5 54020 No one factor is controlling, however, the institution may look for certain objective manifestations of subjective intent on the part of one asserting that residence status has been established, or has been maintained in spite of an absence from the state.
    1. A student who is 19 years of age or older and maintained a home in California continuously for the last two years may be presumed to have the intent to make California the permanent home unless the student has evidenced contrary intent by having engaged in any of the activities listed in item 3., page 6.
    2. A student who is under 19 years of age may be presumed to have intent to make California the permanent home if both the student and his of her parent maintained a home in California continuously for the last two years unless the student or parent has evidenced a contrary intent by having engaged in any of the activities listed in item 3., page 6.
    3. A student who does not meet the requirements of subsection a. or b., above, shall be required to provide evidence of intent to make California the permanent home as specified in item 2., below.  Reference: T5 54024
  2. Among acceptable evidence of intent to make California the student's permanent home are:
    1. Ownership of residential property or continuous occupancy of rented or leased property in California.
    2. Registering to vote, and voting in California.
    3. Licensing from California for professional practice.
    4. Carrying on of a business or employment in California.
    5. Active resident membership in service or social clubs.
    6. Presence of spouse and/or dependent children in the state.
    7. Continuous presence in the state except for absences which can be explained without conflicting with establishment of residence.
    8. Indicating a California address on California State and Federal income tax forms (i.e., W-2, 540, 1040...).
    9. Payment of California personal income tax as a resident. (See Military Personnel, page 11).
    10. Possessing California motor vehicle license plates. Payment of a vehicle license fee is not required of nonresident military personnel. (An exemption may be filed.) Thus, payment of the fee is some indication of intent to be a California resident.
    11. Possessing California driver's license or a California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) identification card (Vehicle Code Sections 12502 and 12505 require a resident to obtain a California driver's license within 10 days from date residence is established.). For purposes of the DMV, residence is established when, after a move to California, a person rents, leases, or buys property in the state.
    12. l. Maintaining a California address as the home of record in military records and on the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) while in the armed forces. (See Military Personnel, pages 10-12.)
    13. Maintaining active savings and checking accounts in California banks.
    14. Petitioning for a divorce as a resident of California.
    15. Possession of hunting or fishing license as a resident of California. Reference: T5 54024
  3. Conduct inconsistent with a claim for California residence includes but is not limited to:
    1. Maintaining voter registration and voting in another state.
    2. Being a petitioner for a divorce or lawsuit as a resident in another state.
    3. Attending an out-of-state institution as a resident of that state.
    4. Declaring nonresidence for California income tax purposes. Reference: T5 54024; Voluntary Tax Assistant Program Guidelines of 1990, California Franchise Tax Board


The burden is on the student to demonstrate clearly, with proof, both physical presence in California and intent to establish California residence. Reference: ECS 68041, T5 54026

Residency in CCCApply

As a resident of California, you will be charged much lower enrollment fees than non-California residents. When you apply to a community college, there will be a number of questions the college will use to determine your state of residency. You should carefully read and answer all of the questions in the residency section of the application.

Per the California Education Code (ECS 68040, 68044; T5 54000, 54002, 54010), to be considered a California resident, you must have lived in California for at least one year and a day, and must provide proof of intent to become a permanent California resident.

Some examples of proof include having a California driver's license, voter registration, or car registration. The residency portion of your application will ask about these and other items. The college will determine your residency based on all of the information you provide. No single document is necessarily conclusive proof. If you are under 18 and unmarried, then the residence of the parent or guardian with whom you live or lived most recently will determine your residency.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you must provide evidence [such as an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-551), an Arrival-Departure record (I-94), a visa or passport] of immigration status before your residence status can be determined.

If you are a member of the military, or former member of the Armed Forces of the United States, with residence in another state, you may be granted resident status (for enrollment fee purposes) and have nonresident tuition waived. Please see the Veterans Services representative at a community college for additional information.

Each college term has a specific residency determination date. If your actions to establish residency occurred less than a year prior to the residency determination date, you will not be eligible for resident enrollment fees. Remember, if you have any questions about residency issues contact the campus staff responsible for residency determination.

State, Federal & Systemwide Regulations in CCCApply?

  • Gender (AB620)
  • Social Security Number (Federal IRS)
  • Legal Name
  • Date of Birth (Minor
  • Under Care & Control of a Parent or Guardian

Age of Majority

Eighteen years of age or older. Reference: Civil Code Section 25.1


The father or mother with whom the minor resides; or, if both parents are deceased, his or her legal guardian. Reference: ECS 68014

International Student

An international student is a citizen of a foreign country, or a resident of a foreign country, or both.  Reference: ECS 76140

Derived Residence, Special Applications

Because of the language of Education Code, Section 68O62(f) which gives to a minor the residence of the parent, the following rules apply:

  1. Where the residence of the student is derived, the California residence of the person or persons from whom it is derived must satisfy the one year waiting period requirement.
  2. A minor adopted by a California resident who has been a resident for one year immediately prior to the residence determination date, immediately takes that resident status. No waiting period applies.
  3. A minor child of permanently separated parents takes the resident status of the parent with whom he or she lives, without any waiting period applying. If the minor lives alone, he or she takes the resident status of the parent with whom he or she last lived. (See Minor Aliens, item 7, page 25.)  Reference: ECS 68062(f),(h),(i)

Deceased Parents

  1. When both parents are deceased, and no legal guardian has been appointed, a minor may establish his or her own residence. Until the minor does so, his or her residence remains that of the last parent to die. The one year waiting period runs from the date of arrival or one year from the date of the parent's death. If the residence of the last parent to die was California, the minor's derived residence may be tacked to the newly established residence.
  2. If a guardian is appointed for a minor any time after the death of the minor's parents, the minor takes the residence of the guardian. If that be California, the one year waiting period runs from the date of appointment, subject to applicable tacking. (See Tacking, page 13.) Reference: ECS 68014, 68062

Parents of Minor Move to California

If the parents of a minor move to California leaving the minor behind, the minor takes the parent's California resident status when acquired. If the minor remains outside California after reaching the age of majority and then comes to California, the minor is to be treated the same as a person possessing California residence who had left California and then returned. The minor should be screened with the objective of determining if he or she had acquired out-of-state residence. One factor to be checked in such a screening would be whether the minor had attended an out-of-state educational institution where resident status for tuition purposes had been granted or denied. (The minor may be eligible for an exception to prior law. See: Adult Dependent Child of California Resident, page 17.) Reference: ECS 68061, 68062, 68076

Reestablished Residence

If a student or the parents of a minor student relinquish California residence after moving from California, one full year of physical presence, coupled with one full year of demonstrated intent to be a California resident, is required to re-establish residence.  Reference: T5 54030

Financial Independence

  1. A student seeking reclassification as a resident, who was classified as a nonresident in the preceding term, shall be determined financially independent or dependent in accordance with Education Code, Section 68044.
  2. Financial dependence in the current or preceding calendar year shall weigh more heavily against California residence than shall financial dependence in earlier calendar years.
  3. A student who has established financial independence may be reclassified as a resident if the student has met the requirement that there be a union of act and intent as defined in Title 5, Section 54020.
  4. Financial independence is only one of the factors to be considered in reclassification to resident and should be balanced against other factors, such as the passage of time, the parents' residence, and the student's intent to establish residence elsewhere. The ultimate question is whether the student has demonstrated intent to become a California resident. The regulations would permit a college to disregard a finding of financial dependence where the parent on whom the student is dependent is a California resident or where there is no evidence of intent to establish residence in another state; however, since financial status is only one factor to be considered, a college may still wish to require some affirmative showing of intent to become a California resident.  Reference: ECS 68044, T5 54020, 54032

Parent & Guardian Education Levels

Race & Ethnicity

To conform with the guidelines of the federal government [ find out ], the California Community Colleges must collect detailed information from students about their ethnic and racial backgrounds, however students are not required to provide the information. CCCApply requires students to answer the question, “Are you hispanic?” however, one of the responses is collects this information on the Personal Information page and the questions are  This information is not used to determine admission eligibility.

The information is presented in CCCApply

Foster Youth (AB12


Admission Eligibility

Enrollment While in High School

Privacy Policies

CCCApply Steering Committee

Governance of CCCApply


Any university or college of the California State University and Colleges, the University of

California, or any California Community College. Reference: ECS 68011

State Agency

Every office, department, division, bureau, board or commission of the state of California. Reference: ECS 69620
(CCC Tech Center is a state agency; CCCApply is a project of a state agency.)

Current Issues

  • CCCApply Image Perception

  • Non-Credit Students

ISSUE: [Replace this text] Changes are proposed to amend California Code of Regulations, title 5, section 58108, to implement statutory changes affecting students eligible for priority enrollment and to conform these regulations to the financial assistance award regulations by permitting foster youth to retain their eligibility for priority enrollment regardless of their academic standing.

BACKGROUND:  [Replace this text] Consistent with Student Success Task Force recommendation 3.1, the Board of Governors adopted regulations during their September 2012 meeting, requiring districts that implement a priority enrollment system to comply with specified requirements in that system. Those regulations required districts to provide highest level priority in the enrollment system to specified students as required by statute. All students were subject to loss of registration priority if placed on academic or progress probation for a prescribed time or exceeded a unit limit.

RECOMMENDATION:  [Replace this text]  It is recommended that the Board of Governors adopt the following Resolution.

California Residents

Admission to any of California's 113 community colleges is simple. You will be admitted to the community college of your choice if you meet at least one of the following conditions:

  • You are 18 years of age or older, with or without a high school diploma
  • You are a high school graduate
  • You have the equivalent of a high school diploma


Every California community college admits students who are non-California residents. The policies on admitting non residents vary from college to college. At many colleges, California residents have enrollment and registration priority. Nonresident students in all colleges are charged tuition based on the actual cost of instruction. Nonresident students will pay about $255 per semester unit over and above the resident registration fees. Actual nonresident fees vary from college to college.

If you have been physically present in California for at least a year and a day with the intent to make California your residence, and you have taken actions to establish California residency, you may be eligible for resident fee status at a California community college. Check with your college for more details.

More Information

Enrollment while in high school


Regions 3 and 4 will hold our Regional Workshop scheduled for Friday, October 28th at the beautiful College of San Mateo (home to the famous COW and extremely genteel host, Henry Villareal!).  We will have Michael Quiaoit from the Chancellor’s Office share all the hot off the press news from up top, and the world renowned Customer Service Guru, Efren Galvan will be in the house.  The top notch A&R team at CCSF, lead by none other than Wil Wu will present all things related to residency, including DACA, VACA and Mo Rocca (extra points for those who know who that is).

We are in need of presenters to join us to speak on the remaining topics:

  1.       Loss of BOG—How’s it working, best practices, issues
  2.      Non Credit Growth and Grading—the wave of the future?
  3.      Dual/Concurrent Enrollment—processes, policies, popularity

SB 150: Community college districts are permitted to exempt nonresident special part-time students from the requirement to pay nonresident tuition for community college credit courses. The term “special part-time student” refers to students who have been recommended by the principal of the pupil’s school and have parental permission to attend a community college during any session or term and who enroll in 11.99 or fewer units per semester, or the quarter equivalent, in accordance with Education Code section 76001.  The exemption does not apply to special full-time students.

Districts that elect to provide this exemption should develop, adopt, and publish a policy for consistently granting the exemption.  As it relates to the development of the local policy, it is our belief that this exemption is not intended to apply to categories of students who would be precluded from qualifying for the AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption; i.e., a) students who actually reside outside of California and enroll via Distance Education and b) students on most nonimmigrant visas.  There is an exception for “T” and “U” nonimmigrant visa holders who were recently made eligible for the AB 540 nonresident tuition exemption under Education Code Section 68122, so a district policy could permit students holding either of these two nonimmigrant visa types to also qualify for this new non-resident tuition exemption.

It is important to note that this exemption does not authorize districts to claim apportionment funding for nonresident special part-time students who are exempted from nonresident tuition under this provision.

A student receiving a nonresident tuition exemption under SB 150 does not receive resident status for the purpose of fees or financial aid.  Rather they are exempt from nonresident tuition fees under this law. These students do not qualify for the BOG Fee Waiver or any other financial aid. However, please note that districts are permitted to exempt special part-time students, including those that have nonresident status, from the per unit enrollment fee pursuant to Education Code Section 76300(f).

The question I received is the following:

Student and family just moved to CA and mom is homeschooling student.  They have submitted a Concurrent Enrollment Permit and a private school affidavit, but because their homeschooling is not affiliated with a school the student has no transcript to submit for SB150.  In this circumstance, can we accept the Concurrent as proof of enrollment, or can the mom create a transcript, or…?

What are your thoughts?

I GREATLY appreciate your input!

Quotes from faculty, staff, and CCCCO administrators:

<<I agree that it would be helpful and we've discussed such an application at our college.  However, a significant number of questions on the current application have to do with determining residency.  Residency plays a critical role in determining 320 attendance accounting. Removing those questions in order to streamline the application forces us to treat the student as non-resident.

If a primary goal of noncredit education is to transition students into credit programs, then you've simply moved the barrier down the road a bit.  Noncredit students must reapply in order to take that credit class or two. One could argue, however, that getting the noncredit student in the door is still preferable even if they would have to reapply prior to entering a credit program.

As far as minimum information needed, I would anticipate that all of the pages except the residency page would still be needed unless the Chancellor's Office reduced its requirements for SB (Student Basic Data Elements) reporting.  Many of the SB reporting elements are located in the Education, Citizenship/Military, and Personal Information pages. Without the ability to optionally report some of the SB elements, there's not much one can do to streamline the application.

Eric McDonald

Sr. Programmer/Analyst

Cuesta College>>

<<Below is a response from Elias Regalado from the Fiscal Standards & Accountability Office at the Chancellor's Office regarding the issue of residency classification for non-credit students applying to the California Community Colleges. The CCCApply Steering Committee has considered a special version of the Standard application for the non-credit student population in the past, however based on the feedback received from the Chancellor's Office in the past - andincluding this response from Elias below - it has not been feasible for the Tech Center to build an additional admissions application specifically for this population at this time.

<< From Elias Regalado, CCCCO - July 11, 2016 >>

Hi Patricia,

The law (Education Code Section 68040 and Title 5 Section 54010) says that all students are to be assessed for residency classification status and prescribes uniform provisions for doing so, regardless of whether they are exclusively enrolling in noncredit courses or are part of any other subgroup of students. So, any aspect or question of a residency questionnaire (including via CCCApply) that is in place to help assess that residency classification must be uniformly applied to all students at the time applications for admission are accepted. [Note: This same principle of uniform residence classification was affirmed as part of the admission of inmate students, where Legal Opinion O 06-07 indicates that “A student is not precluded from establishing residency simply by virtue of his or her status as a prison inmate. For purposes of determining residency, the same standards and procedures for all students should be applied to prison inmates.” (emphasis added)].

Beyond the uniform questions and information needed to determine resident status, it may be that other unrelated questions, may be omitted from a modified residency questionnaire being prepared for noncredit-only students. As long as the district still collects all of the uniform information necessary for an accurate residency classification, along with any information normally required for Chancellor's Office MIS reporting purposes or other necessary purposes, including possibly for federal reporting purposes, we have previously said that there may be some latitude in the development of these modified residency questionnaires/admission applications. However, the risk in creating modified admission/residency forms/questionnaires (including via CCCApply) is that you may inadvertently remove something that is necessary for some unanticipated purpose that is required or necessary for an important purpose, so I would strongly recommend using the same admission form and residency questionnaire used by all students, with the understanding that some items may not be answered or be applicable because of a student’s current noncredit-only admission/enrollment status.

Please consult with members of the CCCApply residency subcommittee and in our office (Academic Affairs/Student Services/etc.) about this matter to avoid any unanticipated consequences, including consulting with our MIS Division on required MIS student data elements. I’ve copied others in the agency in case they would also like to provide direct feedback to you on this very important question. Thanks for contacting me on this.

Elias Regalado, Director

Fiscal Standards and Accountability Unit

College Finance and Facilities Planning Division

California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office

Phone: 916.445.1165 | fax: 916.323-3057 | E-mail:

Military Status Veterans Eligibility (AB13)


  1. General Rule
    1. There is no requirement for the military person to establish residence; however, the student must be on active duty assigned to California as of the residence determination date.
    2. If the military person becomes separated from the military service, he or she would be required to provide evidence of intent to establish California residence for a minimum of one year prior to the residence determination date. (See Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940, Item 2, below.)
    3. A student who was a member of the military stationed in California on active duty for more than one year immediately prior to being separated from the military is entitled to resident classification for up to one year for the time he or she resides in California. This one-year waiver after the military person's discharge allows the time necessary to establish residence. After the one-year waiver, the student would provide evidence as to his or her California residence.
    1. Active members of the military who are present in California under military orders, except those assigned to California for educational purposes, are exempt from nonresident tuition for the duration of their enrollment at a community college.
    2. Dependents of Military Personnel (See Dependents of Military Personnel, page 16.)) Reference: ECS 68074, 68075, 68075.1; T5 54041, 54042
  2. Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 For purposes of providing evidence as to the discharged military person's intent for California residence, in addition to the objective manifestations asked of other students, there would be the necessity for further information as to intent, i.e., including the changing of the home of record in military records, changing the permanent home address in military records, not taking advantage of the exemption from payment of California income tax and/or personal property taxes contained in the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940.
    1. Military person's home upon being commissioned, reinstated, appointed, reappointed, enlisted, reenlisted, inducted, or ordered into active duty.
    2. It may be changed only at the time one of the above events occurs, although it is subject to correction at any time for bona fide error.
    3. A Change in home of record to California is persuasive evidence of an intent to become a California resident, if coupled with military legal residence being California (DD 2058). Similarly, the occurrence of changing the legal residence to that of another state is persuasive evidence that the military person does not intend domicile in California.
    4. Less persuasive, but still evidence to be considered, is a listing of California as a "permanent home address" in military records. This can be done during the interim between occurrences of the above listed events. However, once one of those events occurs, failure to change the home of record eliminates the "permanent home address" as an item of proof of intent to be considered. In fact, as just noted, such failure is persuasive evidence of a lack of intent to establish California as the state of residence.
    1. Personal income from military service is exempt from state income tax levied by a state of which a military person is not a resident (Soldiers and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940). Thus, if a military person pays income tax on his military income to the State of California, such payment would tend to indicate he or she considered himself or herself a resident of California at the time the payment was made.
    2. Credit is allowed against California income tax for taxes paid by military persons to other states (Rev. and Tax. Code Section 17067) by one temporarily out of the state, as for example, a California resident in military service stationed in another state.
    1. For the purposes of taxation in respect of any person, or of his personal property, income, or gross income, by any State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision of any of the foregoing, or by the District of Columbia, such person shall not be deemed to have lost a residence or domicile in any State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision of any of the foregoing, or in the District of Columbia, solely by reason of being absent therefrom in compliance with military or naval orders, or to have acquired residence or domicile in, or to have become resident in or a resident of, any other State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision of any of the foregoing, or the District of Columbia, while, and solely by reason of being, so absent. For the purposes of taxation in respect of the personal property, income or gross income of any such person by any State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision of any of the foregoing, or the District of Columbia, of which such person is not a resident or in which he is not domiciled, compensation for military or naval service shall not be deemed income for services performed within, or from sources within, such State, Territory, possession, political subdivision, or District of Columbia, and personal property shall not be deemed to be located or present in or to have a situs for taxation in such State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision, or District of Columbia. Where the owner of personal property is absent from his residence or domicile solely by reason of compliance with military or naval orders, this section applies with respect to personal property, or the use thereof, within any tax jurisdiction other than such place of residence or domicile, regardless of where the owner may be serving in compliance with such orders: Provided, that nothing contained in this section shall prevent taxation by any State, Territory, possession, or political subdivision of any of the foregoing, or the District of Columbia in respect of personal property used in or arising from a trade or business, if it otherwise has jurisdiction...." (Emphasis added).
    1. Home of Record and Permanent Home Address. A military "home of record" is a historical fact. It is the place recorded on official military documents as the:
    2. Income Tax
    3. Personal Property Tax. Payment of personal property tax is required of all persons having personal property in the State of California on the assessment date, with the exception of nonresident military personnel. The latter are given immunity to personal property tax by the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940. That Act, in pertinent part, provides:
  3. Active Military Who are Residents of California
    1. Active military who are residents of California stationed in California are required to pay California income tax on their military or other income sources.
    2. Active military who are residents of California stationed outside the state are not required to pay California income taxes on their military income. However, military persons are required to pay income taxes on all other income sources.
    3. If the military person has been out of California for any length of time and has not paid income taxes, to determine whether California residence has been maintained, evidence would be "home of record" in military documents, and/or the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). The LES indicates the military person's home of record, and if it indicates California, the military person is "subject" to California taxes.Source: Voluntary Tax Assistant Program Guidelines of 1990 and Legal Ruling Number 300, 1965, California Franchise Tax Board
  4. Entry into Service After Establishing California Residence but Before Having that Residence for a Full Year A person who moves to California with the intention of establishing residence here, and who enters the military service before a year has elapsed, may still be classified as a California resident if he or she has, at the residence determination date, otherwise met the durational requirement, and has not in the interim, established residency elsewhere. In other words, if he or she arrived in California with intent to establish residence in this state, subsequent absences will not preclude the residence-for-a-year from being realized, if he or she did not establish residence elsewhere during the absence. Reference: ECS 68074, 68075; T5 54022, 54028


  1. The term "tacking" refers to the process of adding one period of resident student qualification to another so as to satisfy the one year waiting period requirement.
  2. Tacking is utilized in the following cases:
    1. Adding the immediate pre-majority derived California residence to the postmajority residence to satisfy the durational requirement.
    2. Shifting derivative residence, as when the derivation shifts from a father, who dies, to the mother.
    3. Shift in residence of a minor from deceased parents to a legal guardian, or none appointed, to minor's own elected residence.  Reference: ECS 68072